Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Brian Regan Is One Of The Foremost Standup Comics Currently In The Business


Having had specials on Comedy Central and appearing on television shows such as "Late Show with David Letterman," Brian Regan is one of the foremost standup comics currently in the business. One element of his style that makes him stand out is that he doesn't use profanity in his performances. His style tends toward the observational, sarcastic and self-deprecating brand of humor. His comedy has been praised by sources ranging from The Onion to The Wall Street Journal. Recently, this newspaper had an opportunity to ask Regan some questions.
QUESTION: How did you decide to become a comedian?
ANSWER: I decided while I was in college that making people laugh in speech class was more fun than adding up numbers correctly in accounting class.
Q: Were you the class clown, or is that like the comedian stereotype?
A: I wasn't really the "class clown," but more the "small circle of friends clown." But that doesn't sound as cool.
Q: How did your career get started?
A: There were a few different "starting" points, depending on how you define "starting." The first time I was paid ($10) was after I bombed in front of a bunch of kids and their parents at "Mickey Mouse's Birthday Party," opening for cartoons. That is not a joke.
Q: How do you put a show together?
A: If it's an hour-long show, I hit the stage with a rough outline of bits that move around from night to night like tectonic plates, and in between those plates I toss in new stuff.
Q: Is there any topic that's off limits?
A: I don't mess with people who get up to go to the bathroom. The one laugh isn't worth the rest of the audience squirming in their seats the rest of the show, wishing they could get up to use the restroom.
Q: How about your influences? What comedians or writers have had an impact on your work?
A: There are many funny people I admire: Johnny Carson for his kindness toward his guests; Jonathon Winters for his off-the-charts ad-libbing skills; George Carlin for his volume of work and keen point of view; Richard Pryor for being one the most organically funny people to ever walk the planet; Steve Martin for his ability to make something so unfunny so funny.
Q: Your website has a way for fans to upload videos and photos. How has social media worked for your career?
A: I'm behind the curve with the social media stuff. Every once in a while, people who know about that stuff have to sit me down and explain that the world is changing and that I have to change with it. Then I conclude those meetings by asking if we sell some LP's for Beta Walkmans.
Q: Do you have any career highlights?
A: The biggest night of my career was when I passed my audition at "The Comic Strip" comedy club in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. It meant I was a "comedian." It wasn't long before I was taking the trash out behind that club. But now, I take the trash out behind theaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment